Rumeli / Roumelli

Rumeli / Roumelli / Rumely / Romilly


Spouse: __

Children: Cecilia only daughter


Cecilia RUMELI

Spouse: William de MESCHINES

Children: Alice 2nd daughter; Ralph died young; Matthew died young; Avicia, 1st daughter, married William fitz Duncan, nephew of David King of Scotland [another source has Avicia as 2nd daughter married to Paynel and Alice as 1st daughter married to fitz Duncan]

Memorials of the Danvers family (of Dauntsey and Culworth): their ancestors: In the above mentioned charter of Robert son of William Danvers, Robert confirms to the monks of Bruerne, a hide of land in Swalecliffe given to them by Randolph de Rumeli and the connection between Robert and Randolph is explained by a charter which is preserved in the Record Office which shows that this hide of land was given to Randolph de Rumeli by Robert Chevauchesul. It was therefore as heir of Robert Chevauchesul that Robert Danvers confirmed this grant. Another charter of the same series Ancient Miscellaneous Charters Aug Record Office vol v No 34 and vol xiv No 8 is that of Will de Rumeli heir of Randolph de Rumeli in which he gives land in Sualcliffe to the same abbey. Amongst the witnesses to both these charters are the names Will de Fifhide, Robert de Middleton, Rad de Sibford, Roger de Berthon, Roger Golafre witnesses whose names together with the caligraphy of the charters fix their date at the latter part of the reign of Henry III or the beginning of that of Edward I No 157 in Eynsham Abbey Chartulary is one of Alex de Rumeli whose son John is buried in the Abbey Church Amongst the witnesses are Robert Chevauchesul and William and Randolph de Rumeli, Matthew de Rumeli, and Robert son of Alan de Rumeli are mentioned in early charters of Bittlesden Priory. Harl MS 4,714 f 53  

WILLIAM PAYNEL or Paganel.  Ralph was succeeded by his son William Paynel whilst of his other sons Alexander the youngest appears to be the only one who established another branch of this house having settled at Manby a hamlet of Broughton where one of his descendants Ralph Paynel lived in 1310. Jordan his second son married Gertrude the daughter of Robert Fozzard who was the widow of Robert de Mainil and died childless. Elias the third son from a knight became a monk entering the priory of the Holy Trinity and in due time becoming prior of that corporation which office he continued to fill down to the year 1143. His father had been a benefactor to Selby abbey and when in the year above named the abbey became vacant, Elias Paynel was chosen abbot. He ruled the monastery until 1153 when he was deposed by Archbishop Murdac who desired to fill that dignified situation with a creature of his own and. accordingly. Germanus the prior of Tynemouth was instituted in the stead of the deposed Elias Paynel. On the death of Ralph when the manors of Leeds Headingley etc. as well as the other domains he had held of the king in capite descended to his son William Paynel. One of his first acts was to confirm the gifts of the churches and lands given to the priory of the Holy Trinity in York by his father. Thurstan Archbishop of York in a charter granted circa 1120 ratifies William's confirmation in the following words. "We grant and by the present charter confirm whatsoever Ralph Paynel, and William and Jordan his sons and their vassals, and other benefactors have given to the monastery of the Trinity of York as well in tithes as in other possessions and by name the church of Leeds with all things belonging to it. We also prohibit lest any one either a hermit or any one else should presume to construct a chapel or any sort of oratory within the territory of the church of the same parish without the permission or spontaneous free will of the prior and chapter of the aforesaid monastery nor may any one receive the parishioners of the same church or their benefactors." This prohibition appears to bear some obscure reference to the chapel of Holbeck. That village is not mentioned in Domesday and there is the most conclusive proof that at the time of the gift of the advowson of Leeds to the priory of the Holy Trinity parts if not the whole of the present township were included in the lands then conveyed. Robert de Gaunt who was lord of the manor of Leeds for the period between the years 1152 and 1199 gave to the priory the chapel of Holbeck which had probably been erected by the monks upon their lands there and which were then inclusive of the manor of Leeds. On the 18th of February 1418, we find that one William Haryngton chevalier obtains a licence from the king on condition of paying him six pounds thirteen shillings and fourpence to endow a chapel or chantry within the parish of Leeds, the chaplain of which was to be provided for out of the rents of his lands or tenements in Holbeck in the same parish, and Kirkeby upon Quarf which lands were not held of the king in cnpite. This grant is made by virtue of the king's licence to give in mortmain and as the estates of religious houses were generally held in mortmain it is probable that the king's concession to Haryngton bore upon the priory's estates in Holbeck and that Haryngton's chantry was added to the chapel previously erected by the priory. The priest was to pray for the good estate of the king so long as he lived for his soul when he departed this life and also for the souls of all his ancestors and successors as well as for the soul of Robert Kevile of Hornby and for the souls of all the faithful defunct. Between the years 1109 and 1114 by the admonition and advice of Thurstan, Archbishop of York, William Paynel founded the priory of Drax for black canons of the order of St Augustine which he endowed with thirty bushels of unground corn from his mill in Hunslet and the church of Bingley which was confirmed by Archbishop Roger. Peter Dautrey (de alta Ripa) one of his feudal tenants paid XI per annum to the convent which his father had given to them out of his mill in Hunslet. William Paynel had also given to the canons half a carucate of land in Beeston together with the tithe of all his mills in Leeds and for that half carucate of land John, son of Peter Dautrey, gave the homage and service of Richard de la Haye who was probably one of his Saxon vassals living upon Rothwell Haigh. William Paynel married Alicia, second daughter of William de Meschines, who by his marriage with Cecilia only daughter of Robert de Rumeli became possessed of the extensive fief composing the honour of Skipton. In right of his wife, William Paynel was presumptive lord of the manor of one part of that fief the ancient barony of Harewood but as he did not survive his father-in-law, that honour was never possessed by him. The male succession to the honour of Skipton had been cut off by the death of his two sons, the younger of whom was drowned in attempting to leap over the Strid. Followed by a forester the lad had taken a hound to hunt in Wharfedale and when crossing that fearful spot where the concentrated waters of the Wharfe tear through the narrow orifice between the rocks the brute appalled by the roaring of the waters, hung back and the leash by which he was secured broke his master's bound and hurled him into the foaming torrent. The miserable vassal beheld the death of his young lord by an agency which scoffed at all human efforts and when he returned to the castle to indirectly impart his mournful tidings by asking the mother who doted upon her only son the question, "What is good for a bootless bene?" his blanched cheek told to her quick eye the extent of her loss and the sadly pathetic answer immediately arose to her lips -- "Endless sorrow!" Her sorrow humanly speaking was endless but it was the sorrow of a Christian, and when the bereaved mother overcame the poignancy of her first distraction, she vowed that "many poor men's sons should be her heirs" and in accordance with her vow, founded the priory of Bolton. The only fruit of William's union was a daughter named Alice who was first the wife of Richard de Courcy, a younger brother of Robert de Courcy baron of Courcy in Normandy, and after his death which occurred ante 1152 of Robert de Gaunt. William Paynel did not long survive the accession of King Stephen, as Richard de Courcy was in possession of his barony in right of his wife prior to the year 1138. One of William's last acts appears to have occurred in Normandy in October 1136. The Anjevins invaded Normandy with a large army and after assaulting the tower of Montreuil unsuccessfully, they laid siege to the castle of Moutiers Hubert then commanded by a Paynel and eventually carried it by storm making prisoners the commandant and thirty men at arms for whose ransom they received a large sum. The chronicle does not mention the Christian name of the knight but he is supposed to have been William Paynel who is said to have exasperated the Anjevins by the many outrages he had committed upon them during that same year. He died in England about the year 1137, and was probably buried in the priory of Drax.

Domesday Studies: RADULFUS PAGENEL. This was Ralph Paynell of Drax Yorkshire. He acquired his Devon and Somerset estates in virtue of a general grant of the escheated estates of Marlesweyn one of the rebels of 1069 and up to that date Sheriff of Lincolnshire. A descendant of Ralph Paynell, marrying Juliana de Bahuntune, acquired Bampton and other estates in Devon and Somerset parcel of the Domesday Barony of Walter de Douai sometime called Walter de Bahuntune, Thus in the reign of Stephen there were two Baronies of Paynell, one seated at Drax the other at Bamptone. A very tangled story ensues. All we can say here and with confidence is that the elder male line of Paynell of Drax expired in the reign of Henry II that many of the estates of the said line went to collaterals claiming through Alice Paynell, granddanghter of Ralph Paynel, now under notice danghter of William Paynell and danghter and sole heir of a wife of the said William viz of Avicia le Meschin al Avicia de Roumelli who was danghter and co heir of William le Meschin and Cecilia de Roumelli, that Drax itself and many associated estates went to other collaterals whose claim was in a male line viz as descended from William Paynel of Bridgewater and Bampton the husband of Juliana de Bahuntune. The heirs of Paynell of Drax Bridgewater &c  adhered to Philip of France in the reign of John and so lost their English estates though one of the family was reclaiming a part of them as late as AD 1261. Meantime another scion of the House of Paynel had made good a claim or established a plea which gained some part of the forfeited estates. He for aught we know retained the same. So far as our purpose is concerned the gist of all this is that wherever we find a Somerset or Devon estate to have been held in the 13th century by Manrice de Gant or by Hugh de Nevile or by any Luttrel or any Paynell we shall do well to look for the antecedents of such estate in the Domesday Fiefs of Ralph Paynell and Walter de Douai.

The ruined abbeys of Yorkshire: The priory now at Bolton was founded first at Embsay by William de Meschines and Cecilia his wife. In 1151 Alice de Romille or Rumeli their daughter granted to the canons her manor of Bolton in exchange for those of Skipton and Stretton and the priory was at once removed. This grant of Bolton and the consequent removal of the canons is connected by the legend with the death of the boy of Egremont but Dr Whitaker ruthlessly announced in his History of Craven that the boy was himself a party to the Charter of Translation. To those who cannot enjoy a tradition without a due admixture of truth, it may be some comfort to reflect that Cecilia de Rumeli, the mother of Alice and original foundress of the priory at Embsay, may quite possibly have lost a son in the way described by Wordsworth. And hither is young Romilly come And what may now forbid That he perhaps for the hundredth time Shall bound across The Strid. He sprang in glee for what cared he That the river was strong and the rocks were steep But the greyhound in the leash hung back And checked him in his leap.  

White Swirled Line

Return to: | Home Page | | Smith/Glidden Surnames |  | Davis/McDowell Surnames |
Visit also: Calais Memorial High School, Calais, Maine, Alumni

Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site search Web search

Prepared by Karen E. Smith Howell - comments, suggestions, and corrections are welcome.
Copyright 1997 - 2013  Oak Bay Designs. All rights reserved. Revised: June 23, 2013 .