Canney, Canning, Kanny, Canne
Thomas CANNEY Sr. Pascataqua 1631, Dover 1644, constable 1648
Spouse: (1) ____ (2) Jane ? wife in 1655
Children: Daughter; Mary married Jeremy Tibbetts born circa 1631 2nd John Loome; Thomas, died before 1677, married Sarah Taylor who married also John Wingate & Richard Paine; Hannah born 1641 married Henry Hobbs; Joseph married Mary Clements 10/20/1670 Dover NH per AMR
Spouse: Matthew AUSTIN Sr. born 1620 ENG, died 1684 Kittery, weaver, sergeant; married (2) Mary Davis before 1686
Children: Matthew, Capt. born circa 1658 died before 1/1718-19 York, innholder married Mary LITTLEFIELD before 1675; Children of (2) Mary Davis Mary, Sarah & Isabella
Gen Dictionary ME & NH pg 127: Thomas Canney, constable 1648, grandj 1643, 1656; pettyj 1651. Lists 351b (353) 354ac, 355ab, 356abfghk, 342, (357c) 311c (Dover) 54. Bef 1656 he had bot "Thompson's Point," and was then granted 16 a adj "the outmost point turning up to Cochecho." In 1652 he adm Henry Plympton's est. In 1652 his eyesight had become impaired, reputation later. In 1671 he had rem to York, but went back to Dover, last ment in ct for intox June 1681. In 1723 his right in the ox pasture, 1-25th of Dover Point, was sold by John (and wife Esther) Hall. Kn ch: Dau m Matthew Austin(5). Mary m 1655 Jeremy Tibbetts. Thomas. Hannah b 1641 m Henry Hobbs. Joseph.
Gen Register of the First Settlers of NE pg 52: CANNEY, THOMAS, Pascataqua 1631, Bloody-Point, in Dover, 1644. Joseph his son m Mary Clements 1670.
Pioneers of ME & NH: CANNEY, CANNING, KANNY, Thomas. Piscataqua, signed the combination in 1640. Living at Bloody Point, he was one of those residents who petitioned about 1642 to be included in the town of Dover. [MA Arch. 3, 438.] Constable in 1648. His wife Jane was in court in 1655 upon some matters affecting her husband and her son in law Jeremy Tibbits, husband of her daughter Mary. Sons Thomas, Jr. and Joseph. He joined in a petition to the Gen. Court 10/10/1665. Rem. to York.
Landmarks in Ancient Dover NH: CANNEY'S CREEK or COVE otherwise RENNEY'S This is an inlet from the Pascataqua river on the eastern shore of Newington and one of the bounds of ancient Dover It derived its name from Thomas Canney or Canning of the Dover Combination of 1640 who as early as 1652 had n grant of land on the upper side of this creek which was afterwards acquired by James Rawlins It is mentioned in 1657 when the lower bounds of Dover were defined as running from Ifenney's creek to Hogsty Cove with all the marsh from that place round about the bay up to Cot terill's Delight with four hundred acres of upland adjoining The lower boundary of Dover as recorded in 1701 ran from the middle of Qnamphegan falls down the river to Hilton's Point thence to Kenney's creek and thence in a direct line to Hogsty Cove and from this cove to the mouth of Lamprey river.
Genealogical & Family History of NH: Thomas Canney was sent to Dover New Hampshire by Captain Mason in 1631 or earlier and took a lot of Captain Wiggins in 1634. He had other grants of land in 1652 1656 and after. He was a freeman in 1653 was taxed in 1648 and to 1668 and was alive in 1677. He was excused by the court from common training on account of loss of his sight .His first wife's name is not known. He married second Jane Three of his children are mentioned by name in the records Thomas Joseph and Mary.
Notable Events in the History of Dover NH: 1633 Captain Wiggin entered upon his duties as Governor and after about one year's residence in the country made a voyage to England to procure more ample means for carrying on the plantation In the meantime the grantees at Bristol the associates of Hilton had sold their interest to the Lords Say and Brook George Willys and William Whiting who continued Wiggin in the agency and procured a considerable number of families in the west of England some of whom were of good estate and of some account for religion to come over and increase the colony The heads of the principal families now added by Captain Wiggin to the settlement in addition to Edward and William Hilton were John Ault Thomas Beard Thomas Canney Edward Colcatt John Dam William Furber John Goddard John Hall Thomas Johnson Henry Langstaff Thomas Layton William Leveridge Francis Matthews James Nute Hatevil Nutter James Ordway Richard Pinkham William Pomfrett Thomas Roberts Henry Tebbetts John Tuttle and Richard Waldron. /P/ Fresh Creek mill privilege was granted to William Furber William Wentworth Henry Langster and Thomas Canney at a rate of six Pounds for the wood besides ten shilling for every such mast as they make use of. /P/ The following inhabitants had right of commonage to the ox pasture and calves pasture on Dover Neck where they were land owners though all of them did not live there Thomas Kimball Job Clements Thomas Downes Thomas Roberts The Minister's house Charles Buckner William Pomfret Thomas Beard John Tuttle sen Deacon John Hall Thomas Leighton John Damsen Lieut Ralph Hall Elder Nutter Joseph Austin Philip Cromwell William Furber Jeremiah Tebets Humphrey Varney James Nute Richard Pinkham Thomas Canney John Roberts Thomas Roberts jr Jedediah Andrews Henry Tebets Thomas Nock /P/ June Tho Canney of Dover desiring the Court to free him from common training by reason of losing his eyesight his request was granted. /P/ Dated at Dover the 22d October 1677. They pray to be continued under ye Massachusetts government. Thomas X Canney
The first parish in Dover, New Hampshire: But Rollinsford was an ancient settlement when the waters were running to waste at the Great Falls. Its south line was the present north line of Dover until it met Fresh Creek easterly and then it followed that stream to the Newichawannock. Its soil began, therefore, but a mile from Walderne's mills and trading post. Anthony Emery's farm is mentioned over that line before 1646 and a grant of marsh to him 2 May 1642. The mill privilege on Fresh Creek was granted 6 December 1652 for 6 annual rent to William Furbur, Elder William Wentworth, Henry Langstar, and
Thomas Canney. In that year Elder William Wentworth received land in that vicinity and may have been living there in 1653 on land a part of which is still in possession of his descendants on the turnpike to South Berwick. The river lots from St Alban's Cove to Quamphegan were granted in 1656 and ranged upward as follows Lieut Ralph Hall, John Roberts, Deacon John Hall, Henry Magoun, James Grant,
Thomas Canney, Joseph Austin, Henry Tebbets, John Damme, and Thomas Beard and there they reached the land of Thomas Broughton In 1658 a second and interior range was granted going northward Jeremey Tebbets, Thomas Hanson, Ralph Twombly and interior of these Job Clements. While only a fraction of these persons settled on these lands, their children did to a great extent and not a few names are recognized there to day. Fresh Creek 5 December 1652 to William Furbur, William Wentworth, Henry Langster and Thomas Canney.
The New Hampshire genealogical record: an illustrated quarterly ..., Volumes 5-7: RESIDENCE OF THE CANNEY FAMILY. Thomas Canney, or Canne as the name was usually written, was of Dover NH very early. He was the ancestor of all or nearly all of the Canney family of New Hampshire. It is not known where he emigrated from when he came to Dover but like the larger part of the New Hampshire settlers he probably came from the west part of England. The writer found the following names on the Index of Wills for the Deanery of Totnes County of Devon, England. Nicholas Canne residence Okehampton will proved 1587, John Canne res Okehampton will proved 1605, John Canne res Okehampton will proved 1607, John Canne res Okehampton will proved 1614.
Return to: | Home Page
| | Smith/Glidden Surnames | | Davis/McDowell
Prepared by Karen E. Smith Howell -
comments, suggestions, and corrections are welcome.