Howe

Howe, Haugh, Hough

John Howe of Hodinhull ENG

Spouse: ?

Children: John

 

John Howe

Spouse: ?

Children: John

 

John HOWE of Warwickshire

Spouse: ?

Children: John

 

John HOWE, Sudbury, born 11/20/1602 in Hadnall Shropshire ENG , freeman 1640, removed to Marlborough and died 28 (3) 1680 will probated 6/15/1680

Spouse: Mary ? born 1618 ENG died 9/9/1672 MA? married 1640

Children: Samuel born 10/20/1642; John born 8/24/1640 might be John Howe killed by the Indians 4/20/1675, married Elizabeth ?; Mary born 2/18/1646 died 3/17/1647; Mary born 8/8/1648; Mary born 6/18/1654 married 1672 John Witherby; Isaac born 8/8/1648 married 1671 Frances Wood & Susannah Silby; Josiah married Mary Haynes 5/18/1671; Thomas born 6/12/1656 married Sarah Hosmer & Mary Barron; Eleazer born 1/18/1662 married Hannah Howe daughter of Abraham Howe of Marlboro; Sarah born 10/20/1642; Sarah born 9/25/1644 married Samuel Ward; Daniel born 6/3/1658 died 1661; Alexander born 12/29/1661 died 1662

 

Samuel HOWE, Lt.,  born 10/20/1642 Sudbury Middlesex MA died 4/13/1713 Sudbury, proprietor of a farm in Sudbury MA on which sat the Howe Tavern, made famous by Longfellow in his "Tale of the Wayside Inn"

Spouse: (1)  Martha BENT born 1642 Sudbury Middlesex MA, died 8/29/1680 Sudbury, married 6/5/1663 (2) Sarah

Children: Martha born 10/9/1669 Sudbury Middlesex MA died 11/24/1721 Shrewsbury Worcester MA married 12/7/1687 Sudbury married Thomas WALKER born 5/22/1664 Sudbury Middlesex MA died 8/25/1717 Framingham; John born 7/24/1664; Mary born 3/2/1665; Lydia; Samuel born 5/19/1668; Daniel born 10/9/1672 died at 8 years; David born 11/2/1674; Hannah 4/6/1677. Children of (2) Daniel born 2/24/1689; Moses born circa 1695; Micagah born 8/22/1700

 


Gen Reg of First Settlers of NE: HOWE, JOHN, Sudbury, freeman 1640, had sons, John, b 1640; Samuel b 1642 and removed to Marlborough and d 10 July, 1678. He might be the John Howe killed by the Indians 20 April, 1675

Pioneers of MA 242: How/Howe/Howes/Hows, John, Sudburyt, frm. 5/13/1640. Town officer 1657. He petitioned 30 (7) 1662 to be excused from training because he was aged, thick of hearing, and maintained 3 soldiers in his family. [Mdx. Files.] Wife Mary; ch. John b. 24 (6) 1640; Samuel b. 20 (8) 1642; Mary b. 1646 d. 1647; Mary b 18 (11) 1653; Isaac b. 8 (6) 1648. /P/ He died 28 (3) 1680. Will dated 5/24, prob. 6/15/1680, beq. to wife; ch. Samuel, Isaac, Josiah, Thomas, Eleazer, Sarah Ward, Mary Witherby; gr. ch. John, son of John.

Genealogical Dictionary of New England 168: BENT, JOHN, Sudbury, came in the Confidence, 1638, aged 35, from Southampton, a husbandman of Penton in the same co. with w. Martha, and ch. Robert, William, Peter, John, and Ann, all, by custom ho. rec. under 12 yrs. old; went home the same yr. to bring more of his fam. and came again next yr. in the Jonathan, had gr. of ld. 1639, was freem. 13 May 1640, had Joseph, b. 16 May 1641; Martha; and perhaps others. His mo. Agnes, sis. Agnes Blanchard, and her inf. ch. d. on the voyage in the Jonathan. He was one of the proprs. of Marlborough; but d. at S. 27 Sept. 1672. His wid. d. 15 May 1679. His d. Ann (I think call. Agnes at a later day) m. Edward Rice; and Martha m. 1663, Samuel Howe. His will, made a few days bef. he d. made w. Martha, and eldest s. Peter excors. and gives to other s. Joseph, and John, d. Agnes Rice, and her s. John, d. Martha, and her h. Samuel, his s. John Howe, beside two gr.ch. Peter, s. of Peter B. and Hannah, d. of John B. JOHN, Marlborough, s. of the preced. b. in Eng. m. 1 July 1658, Hannah, d. of John Stone, had Hannah, b. 6 May 1661; and prob. by sec. w. Martha, d. of Matthew Rice, had John, 29 Nov. 1689; and David; and d. Sept. 1717. His est. was in Framingham. 

Genealogical Dictionary of New England 476: Howe, SAMUEL, Sudbury, s. of the first John, 1672, Mary, d. of m. 1663, Martha, d. of  John Bent, had John, b. 24 July 1664; Mary, 1665; Lydia; Samuel, 1668; Martha, 1669; Daniel, 1672, d. at 8 yrs.; and David, 2 Nov. 1674; was freem. 1671. His w. d. 1680, and he had sec. n. Sarah, and had other ch. by her; was a col.

Genealogical Dictionary of New England 413: Ward, SAMUEL, Marlborough, s. of William of the same, b. prob. in  Eng. took o. of fidel. 1652; was capt. and rep. 1679 and 80; m. 6 June 1667, Sarah, d. of John Howe of the same, had Sarah, b. 22 Apr. 1668; Joseph, 1670; Eliz. 1672; Mary, 1676; Samuel, Mar. 1678; Bethia, 25 May 1681; and Daniel, 1687, d. at 13 yrs. and his w. d. 11 Aug. 1707. His will of 22 May 1727, near 2 yrs. bef. his d. was disput. by the heirs on acco. of most of the est. being giv. to s. Samuel. He had sec. w. Eliz. wh. outliv. him. Conject. is wholly unable to explain, wh. she was.

Genealogical Dictionary of New England CD169HOWE JOHN, Sudbury, s. of John, Warwicksh. (as a very respect. writer in Worcester Magaz. II. 130, gathers the tradit. speaking of his relation to Howe, Earl of Lancaster, when such a title in the peerage had not existed for near two hundred yrs.), had been a long time at Watertown, freem. 13 May 1640, by w. Mary had John, b. 24 Aug. 1640; Samuel, 20 Oct. 1642; Sarah, 25 Sept. 1644; Mary, 18 Jan. 1646, d. young; Isaac, 8 Aug. 1648; Josiah; Mary, again, 18 Jan. 1654; Thomas; Daniel, 3 Jan. 1638, d. young; Alexander, 1661, d. soon; Daniel, perhaps tw. with the last in b. and d.; and Eliezer, 1662. He had pet. 1656, for the grant of Marlborough, and rem. thither with his fam. and d. 10 July 1678. His wid. liv. twenty yrs. later. Sarah m. a Ward; and Mary, m. 1672, John Wetherby. JOSIAH, Marlborough, s. of the first John, m. 18 May 1671, Mary Haynes, had Mary, 1672, d. young Mary, again, 1674, d. young; Josiah, 1678; Daniel, 5 May 1681; Ruth, 1684; and Dorothy. His wid. m. s Prescott.  SAMUEL, Sudbury, s. of the first John, 1672, Mary, d. of m. 1663, Martha, d. of John Bent, had John, b. 24 July 1664; Mary, 1665; Lydia; Samuel, 1668; Martha, 1669; Daniel, 1672, d. at 8 yrs.; and David, 2 Nov. 1674; was freem. 1671. His w. d. 1680, and he had sec. n. Sarah, and had other ch. by her; was a col. 

Genealogical History of ME: John Howe, a son of John Howe of Warwickshire Eng, was for a long time a resident of Watertown MA. In 1638 or 1639 he was one of the first settlers of Sudbury,, where he was admitted freeman 5/13/1640 and was selectman in 1642. His name appears on the contract of  2/7/1642 as a member of the committee representing the town with whom John Rutter agrees to build the first meeting house erected in the town. He petitioned in 1656 for the grant of Marlborough and is said to have been the first white settler on the grant, to which he moved in 1657. He was appointed by the pastor of the church and selectmen to see to restraining the youth on the Lord's day. His kindness and honesty gained for him the confidence of the Indians to such an extent that he was often called upon to settle disputes among them. He opened the first public house in Marlborough and he kept it for several years. His grandson, David Howe, son of Samuel Howe, received of his father in 1702 a grant of 130 acres of land, in the "New Grant" territory, on which he built the Red Horse Inn or old "Howe Tavern," the famous "Wayside Inn" of Longfellow. The date of his death is given as 1678 and also as 1687, July 10. By his wife Mary, who survived him 20 years he had 12 children: John, Samuel, Sarah, Mary died young, Isaac, Josiah, Mary, Thomas, Daniel died young, Alexander, Daniel & Eleazer. 

Vital Records of Sudbury:How,  Daniel, child Samuel & Martha 10/9/1672; David, child Samuel & Martha 11/2/1674. Hannah, child Samuel & Martha 4/6/1677. John, child Samuel & Martha 7/24/1664. Joseph, son Samuel & Martha 8/10/1706. Martha, daughter Samuel & Martha 10/9/1669. Mary, daughter Samuel & Martha 3/2/1665. Micagah, son Samuel & Sarah 8/22/1700; Samuel, son Samuel & Martha 5/19/1668. Isaac, son John & Mary 8/8/1648. John, son John 8/24/1640. Mary, daughter John & Mary 2/18/1646. Mary, daughter John & Mary 1/18/1653. Mary daughter John & Mary 8/21/1749. Samuel, son John & Mary 10/20/1642. Sarah daughter John & Mary 10/20/1642. Thomas son John & Mary 7/22/1656. DEATHS HOWE: Lt. Samuel 4/13/1713. Daniel s. Samuel 2/7/1680. David 8/3/1769. Martha w. Samuel 8/29/1680. Mary d. John & Mary 3/17/1647.  

Annals of Iowa, Volume 2: The first family of the name of Howe came from England as we are informed by old manuscripts still in the possession of the Iowa family of this name. John Howe settled in Sudbury Massachusetts in 1640 and was the first made freeman to vote. His father another John Howe was a direct descendant of the Howe family of Hadinghall Warwickshire England. This John Howe was connected with Lord Charles Howe Earl of Lancaster in the time of King Charles I. About thirty years after the formation of the Massachusetts Colony the Howe descendants emigrated to Marlborough and became selectmen to keep order in the church. In May 1656 of thirteen persons signing a petition to the General Court to incorporate the town, the second name is that of John Howe. The town was incorporated in 1660 by the records and the Indian deed to the Howe family for lands bears date June 12 1684. John Howe died in 1668 leaving a large family in Marlborough there being twenty eight voters alone of that name. In 1711 four of the twenty six garrisons were commanded by Howes. David Howe built in 1776 at Sudbury the Howe Inn whose sign was the Red Horse immortalized by the poet Longfellow in the Tales of a Wayside Inn.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of ... edited by Ellery Bicknell Crane: John How or Howe 1 the immigrant ancestor ... was an early settler at Watertown Massachusetts. He was born in Warwickshire England it is believed the son of John Howe who is supposed to be a descendant of John Howe of Hodinhall connected with Sir Charles Howe of Lancaster during the reign of Charles I. John Howe made his home in Sudbury with settlers from Watertown then the adjoining town. He was there in 1639 or earlier. He was admitted a freeman in 1640 In 1642, he was one of the Sudbury selectmen. According to tradition he was the first white inhabitant who settled in the Sudbury New Grant as it was called. He built his cabin a little to the eastward of the Indian plantation and in this vicinity many of his descendants have lived and are living still. His house was about one thousand rods from the Spring Hill Meeting House a little the east of the present road from Spring Hill to Feltonville lately owned by Edward Rice. Howe was a man of dignity and universally respected even by his Indian neighbors. In 1655 he was appointed to see to the restraining of the youth on the Lord's Day. Boys were boys even in the Puritan town of Sudbury in the days of Cromwell. He was brought into contact often with his Indian neighbors, and he won their confidence and good will and often he became an arbiter in case of differences between them. The story is told of a pumpkin grown on the land of one Indian but on a vine belonging to another. Both claimed the pumpkin. Howe was asked to decide the ownership of the pumpkin. He cut it in two and gave a half to each. From 1657 till his death in 1680 he lived in Marlboro and was the founder of most of the families of this surname in Middlesex and Worcester counties. Descendants of Abraham Howe another emigrant settler also settled in Marlboro, however In 1662 he and Goodman Rice were appointed to make a grant of land to Thomas Danforth or rather determine the size of a grant made by the general court in payment of services. John Howe opened the first public house in Marlboro. He petitioned the general court September 30 1662 to be excused from training because he was aged, thick of hearing, and maintained three soldiers in his family. He died in Marlboro May 28 1680. His will was dated May 24 1680 and proved June 15 1680, He made bequests to his wife Mary and children Samuel, Isaac, Thomas, Eleaze, Sarah Ward, Mary Witherby grandchild John son of John, He gave Thomas the horse he troops on, His children were John born 1640 married January 22 1662 Elizabeth Woolson was killed by the Indians; Samuel October 20 1642 married June 5 1663 at Sudbury Martha Bent; Sarah September 25 1644 married June 1667 Samuel Ward died young; Mary August 8 1648; Isaac August 8 1648 married June 17 1671 Frances Wood; Josiah married March 18 1671 Mary Haynes of Sudbury; Mary June 18 1654 married September 18 1672 John Wetherby; Thomas June 12 1656 married Sarah Hosmer married second Mary Barron; Daniel June 3 1658 died 1661; Alexander December 29 1661 died January 1662; Eleazer January 18 1662 married 1683 Hannah Howe daughter of Abraham Howe of Marlboro. II Colonel Samuel Howe son of John Howe 1 was born October 20 1642 in Sudbury Massachusetts. He married June 5 1663 Martha Bent daughter of John Bent of Sudbury and settled in his native town. He was admitted a freeman in Sudbury in 1671. He married second Sarah Clapp September 18 1685 and had other children. He was an important man in his day. He was colonel of the regiment made up of companies from the towns in the vicinity. He was a town officer. The children of Samuel and Martha Bent Howe were John born July 24 1664; Mary March 2 1665; Lydia; Samuel May 19 1668; Martha October 9 1669; Daniel November 2 1674; David November 2 1674; Hannah April 6 1677. The children of Colonel Samuel and Sarah Clapp Howe were Daniel February 24 1689; probably Moses about 1695; Micagah August 22 1700. III David Howe son of Colonel Samuel Howe 2 was born in Sudbury Massachusetts November 2 1674. He married December 25 170_ probably 1702 record torn. He built and conducted the Wayside Inn. He received from his father Samuel Howe in 1702 the farm on which it is located. It was part of one hundred and thirty acres in the New Grant territory either lot 48 or 49. The tavern was built a few years after David Howe acquired the land. The Indians were threatening during the first decade of the eighteenth century and the workmen engaged in building it had to resort at night to the Parmenter garrison half a mile away. It was opened as a public house. It was not until 1746 that it became known as the Red Horse Tavern. In that year Colonel Ezekiel Howe David's son and successor as tavern keeper put up as a sign a red horse a time honored custom of the early taverns being to designate for the benefit of the unlettered the house by some picture or sign by which one who could not read might identify the house. In later years it became known as the Wayside Inn from the Talcs of the Wayside Inn written by Longfellow. Of course the old tavern cannot claim all that Longfellow ascribed to it, but no more fitting country tavern could have been selected for his purpose. It is a fine specimen of early architecture, plain but spacious and interesting. During the revolutionary war when it was conducted by Colonel Ezekiel Howe the Red Horse Inn was the centre of revolutionary activity. After the death of the famous old colonel ,his son Adam Howe conducted the hotel for forty years. Then came the railroads and the paths of travel changed. Lyman Howe was the last Howe in the direct line to run the hotel. He sold it in 1866. The Wayside Inn has been at times since then run as a road house. It is much frequented by lovers of Longfellow. At present the old house is an attractive spot for automobile owners who are interested in colonial history and antiquities. The quiet dignity of the old tavern is very charming much different is the scene there today from the bustle and activity of nearly two hundred years ago when the tavern was one of the best on the road from Boston to the colonies to the westward. It was a stopping place for settlers on their way to their new homes It was a halting place for troops during all the Indian wars and the revolution. The fanners on their way to and from the market in Boston stopped there. The stages to and from Boston passed there. Washington and other celebrated men have slept in the old inn. It would be of great historic interest even if Longfellow had not immortalized it. The region round about corresponds well with the character of the building. It is on the edge of a plain in what is called the Peckham district at the foot of Nobscot Hill. Close to the inn runs a little brook known as Hop brook. The hotel stands at the side of the broad road looking today much as it did probably a hundred and seventy five years ago.

Founders and Patriots of America Index: Howe, John (1602-May 28, 1680) m. ...Mary ... MASS IX, 13, 14; XIII, 66; XVII, 10; XVIII, 37, 38; XX, 144; XXII, 34, 120; XXX, 22.

White Swirled Line

Return to: | Home Page | | Smith/Glidden Surnames |  | Davis/McDowell Surnames |
Visit also: Calais Memorial High School, Calais, Maine, Alumni

Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site search Web search

Prepared by Karen E. Smith Howell - comments, suggestions, and corrections are welcome.
Copyright 1997 - 2013  Oak Bay Designs. All rights reserved. Revised: November 03, 2017 .