Haskell Smith Road in Cooper, Maine
"In 1960, George W. Smith and his family were living with and working for Abram Ireland who was recently widowed and with a family of young children. In the 1880 census, George, his wife Lucy, and their children Ida, Nellie, Charles, Josiah, Flora, and Frank are shown and were likely living in one of the Huff houses, probably the one nearer the road. Today we find a blueberry field and the remains of a building near the road." By 1881 both Huff places were listed under the name of George W. Smith.
The 1881 Atlas indicates that Frederic M. Smith resided in the former Abram Ireland place. Fred was a son of Haskell and Deborah Smith. The plan refers to the 100 acre lot as the J. (John) Smith lot. It now is blueberry field.
The 1861 Map lists the J. H. Smith Farm. In 1860 John was 74. His wife, Lucy, died that year. By 1881, Charles A. Smith and his family were living at the farm. John was the ancestor of all the Smiths, and John Dudley believed he was in Cooper before 1830.
Haskel Smith is listed as head of household in 1840 census, Deborah his wife, and children George W., Sarah A., Charles W., James C., Eleanor, John H., Amasa C., Enoch R., Caroline, and Frederic. Haskell and Deborah are listed in the 1880 census and in Moody's 1896 Directory. "The house apparently had a very high ceiling cellar that was ground level on one side. This allowed a horse and wagon to be driven into it with ease."
Return to: | Home Page
| | Smith/Glidden Surnames | | Davis/McDowell
Prepared by Karen E. Smith Howell -
comments, suggestions, and corrections are welcome.